It is pretty obvious that humanity would not have survived as a species without the invention of weapons. Some of our most primitive tools mankind ever discovered were, in fact, weapons. Moreover, they implemented these primarily not to fight each other but to obtain food. Additionally, they try to protect themselves and their loved ones from predators with the best gun safes.
It is a fact that human has historically been using weapons to commit crimes, carry on warfare, and the like cannot be disputed. But at one go, these weapons are also implemented to protect oneself from such mishaps and to fight back. They try to fight to armed violence by other nations or tribes. They have always been a spirited part of human culture for our entire history as mankind.
Gun safes or Gun cabinets might just seem like another redundant piece of equipment. However, while several states don’t actually require your firearms to be stored away in a safe, there are some that do. Nonetheless of whether or not it’s you legally need those in your area, if you own firearms, it’s probably a good notion to keep them locked away, preventing children or untrained persons from having access to them.
One must understand all life is precious. And weapons are bad because they end life. You don’t take into account circumstances, self-defense, defensive war, hunting, etc. Killing is bad, and so are the weapons of killing. So when you own a lethal weapon such as guns, a gun safe is somewhat essential and even mandatory in a few states and countries.
How do you know which one would be best for you? How do you know the ones you buy are actually worth your money?
A Beginners Approach to Purchasing Best Gun Safes
The key things generally gun owners consider while buying a Gun safe are:-
Theft Protection: A well-built safe would feature a secure locking system made out of durable material protect your valuables from theft. Protecting your gun from theft will ensure it’s where it is supposed to be in the event that you need it. It’ll also keep your gun out of the hands of burglars & people who are not qualified or legally allowed to use it.
Child Protection: One should never assume that hiding their guns over the top of the closet is safe or placing them under the bed is secure in any way. As kids have a tendency of curiosity to find things no matter how fine we think we have hidden them. So a gun safe is a must if you have a child in the house.
Fire Protection: In a scenario where your house catches fire, a fire-resistant gun safe would definitely protect your gun and other valuables as well from annihilation. A great safe should definitely be able to endure extreme heat and prevent fire damage to the firearm.
Easy Access: Most of the people consider it’s enough to just hide their firearm anywhere at home where it would be of sight and out of reach as well. However, this is not the wisest approach when you ever need to access it immediately, though. So keep your gun in a locked safe so that, in case of an emergency like if someone breaks in, you know exactly where to go and retrieve your savior.
Protect Other Valuables: Gun safes are not just meant for storing guns. They are also one of the best places to store important valuables possessions like cash, jewels, spare keys, and many other important documents. In case of a break in or accidents, you can assure that your valuables would be safe of course.
Key things to keep in view before you Choose the Right Gun Safe
Consider Your Needs: Before you opt for a gun safe you must consider your needs and the requirements for your firearm as well, otherwise you may end up spending too much money. Take it this way, if your safe is not according to your precise needs and not future proof either with emerging technologies, sooner or later you’ll have to buy a new one. So better know your requirements better.
Pay Attention to Material: One must be extremely careful while choosing out the material for your gun safe as it literally decides how safe your safe actually is. In addition to that materials play a key role in deciding if the material would be fireproof and waterproof. One also needs to take the thickness of the safe into consideration as well. Most firearm safes are made up of steel, aluminum or plastic, or a combination of them together. So be careful while choosing the ideal safe for your Gun.
Choose a Trusted Brand: One more thing which one should consider is the brand name of the safe. As brand names like paragon gun safe, Fort Knox gun safes and slimline gun safes carry decades of trust and reliability as well as guarantees services in future in case of any failure as well. Going with a trusted may or may not cost you more money, but one is advised to go for an extra buck while making security arrangements for their gun.
Choose the Right Locking Mechanism: These days there are various types of gun safes with various locking mechanisms as well. Depending on your requirements you can choose in between Biometric Gun Safes, Electronic Lock Gun Safe, wheel and Pin Combination Safe, Key Lock Gun Safe, Multiple Lock Gun Safe, Fireproof Gun Safes, Handgun Safes. They come with their set of features and unique on their own.
Other Features to Consider While Buying A Best Gun Safe
If you require a safer gun safe then while purchasing a gun safe you have to be assured that it is a Biometric safe with Biometric Identification as it is necessary for rapid access to your weapon. It can be the one thing that would prevent you from becoming a prey as well as keeping your family safe.
Sufficient Battery Life to Persist at Least a Year Before Replacing
Biometric fingerprint scanner gun safe provides instant access to firearms—whereas in case of electronic and dial locks often the access process is slower. Both electronic and biometric locks need batteries or an electronic source of power to operate, but a dial lock doesn’t.
The best gun safes are available with alternative means of opening them like by electric batteries. Besides keeping a track of if you changed the batteries in your Gun Safe, you must have better things to do. So one must ensure that the batteries get the charge. In case of an emergency, in a method of accessing the Gun Safe while the owner is not present, the override keys can solve this problem.
Quiet in Operation
A stealth mode can come real handy while drawing out your weapon in complete silence. In case you have a burglar in your house, you can reach your gun safe safely and take it out without making any noise and hopefully take out the burglar as well. Many well-renowned gun safe companies mark it as one of their key features.
A large number of permutations in the number of possible combinations
Most of the gun safes we come across these days have probably over 12 million potential combinations which its jagged construction keeps everyone busy decoding but you from attaining access to your gun. This should keep the thief busy until doomsday. They would probably have to work out 12 million permutations and would have to try first in order to gain access by which they would grow old and grey.
With a secured mounting option there is no option of simply carrying your gun safe and walking off with it. This can be implemented by having the proper mounting hardware and pre-drilled mounting points. An extra feature is fire and water resistance which is not always available in all of the models, which makes the safe more user-friendly. Other options you’ll be represented with before buying gun safes are built-in- lighting, Heavy duty locking bolts. However light-weight high-end secured gun safe has really taken up the trend.
8 Best Gun Safes of 2019
Going from the bottom this is the first safe of our recommendations. You can put it in a drawer, though there are pre-drilled holes at the bottom of the safe as well as the built-in hardware allows it to be easily mounted over a shelf, nightstand, or wall, something which is not easily movable. It can also hold more than one handgun.
Unlike other safes which we will discuss in brief later, the keypad design has been thrown out entirely. The motor-powered lock and a duo of steel bolts can be opened with just a swipe of a finger. The fingerprint scanner has sufficient memory to store up to 30 different fingerprints if you want your other trusted members to authorize access to your guns and valuables.
One disadvantage of this gun safe model is that the biometrics technology is still relatively young and yet to bloom and if for some cause the fingerprint reader fails to scan your finger. Then you have to remove a metal plate using an Allen wrench to access the lock for backup keys which is not ideal if you are in an emergency situation, needing emergency access. The company offers a 1-year limited warranty and four AA batteries which the fingerprint reader requires for.
BARSKA Drawer Safe with Fingerprint Lock
- Fingerprint scanner, which can store up to 30 users fingerprints.
- It contains pre-drilled holes at the bottom of the safe as well as the built-in hardware required allowing it to be easily mounted over.
- The motor-powered lock and a duo of steel bolts can be opened with just a swipe of a finger.
- Provides instant, 2.5-sec firearm access for defense.
- If for some cause the fingerprint reader fails to scan your fingerprint, then you will have to remove a metal plate using a wrench to access the lock for backup keys which is not ideal if you are in an emergency situation, needing emergency access.
Also, this safe has a special feature of silence operation where you can silent the beeping sound while opening. By pressing and holding the red button on the side of the opened lid for about 10 seconds, the lights on the top by the fingerprint scanner would flash green – you will go into silent mode. After researching several biometric installed handgun safes we can recommend you that this is one of the best large biometric safes available in the market.
Here is the first gun safe we reviewed to store guns other than handguns like shotguns or rifles. This product is exactly how we describe it. It is a secure gun cabinet rather than an actual gun safe.
The design of the steel exterior of this particular safe is not that artistic or attractive, yet scary for most of the intruders to break through. It would repel most intruders-of-chance just by the heavy looks of it. However, you have to be cautious during the delivery to your address as there have been numerous complaints by former users about the damage sustained during delivery. This may come up as a vulnerability of this particular product in case of a planned and well-executed burglary.
It has two different-keyed doors by means of double-bitted keys which trigger a whole-steel locking mechanism that locks both the doors at 3 different points. A three-point locking system is available with a key code, the double-bitted lock provides greater security for your firearms.
One of the two doors grants entrance to a 19.5-inch-wide section that can hold up to 10 rifles or shotguns if they are smaller than 54 inches. The safe has a black epoxy matte finish with gold touches over the cabinet door. The safe is slim enough to fit in almost every space. You can sleep carefree knowing that your guns have been firmly put away.
The other door has a different 12.5-inch section with transferrable shelves. In this unit, you can mass ammunition, accessories, handguns, and other precious treasures. Also, you can get rid of the four pad shelves and store long guns if you’d like. The padded bottom and barrel rest stands to diminish any chances of marks or scratches. This helps to keep your weapons at their best.
The simple facility to configure your gun cabinet according to your own needs makes it quite versatile. Also no matter how you make use of the room provided there would still be room for any kind of dehumidifier that you might want install to protect your safe from any unnecessary humidity which might cause issues for your guns in future.
There is also hardware available which is included for firmly fixing the cabinet on the floor or over a wall may be and this is definitely a point in its pro as we discussed in the introductory part as well that how important secure mounting is for the security of your safe. Although the cabinet looks to be large, it has a weight of just 111lbs which means that, if it is not secured, it can be easily movable.
Stack On Gun Security Cabinet
- It can hold up to 10 rifles or shotguns up to 52″ tall.
- It contains hardware available which is included for firmly fixing the cabinet on the floor or over a wall may be.
- This particular security cabinet contains a foam padded bottom and barrel rests ensuring no scratches over the guns.
- It has 3-point locking mechanism along with key coded, double-bitted lock.
- During emergency situations, you may not get emergency access, but the rifles would be surely safe from the hands of most intruders.
If you are looking for a safe that can store more than one single handgun, then this is the first product we have reviewed here that will fit your requirements perfectly. Although it is not tall enough to store long guns, it can easily store numerous handguns, accessories as well as other valuables. The stack on gun locker is easily stores here.
The Stack-On PS-1520 comes with two detachable shelves, permitting you to modify the internal configuration to suit your necessities. The shelves and the bottom of this particular safe are perfectly foam-padded to protect your guns and valuables from scratch or any other damage. From the looks of it, this seems like a traditional safe, but it does not carry a fire or burglary rating unlike other products listed here.
The safe has a pry-resistant road having a robust construction with internal hinges, and two steel locking-bolts. This will certainly protect your valuables from any unplanned attack or burglars. Even though it weighs 45 lbs. and looks to be somewhat bulky, it could be carried away. However, PS-1520 safe comes with hardware which is sufficient for you to easily mount it over a wall or over the floor.
Like modern gun safes these days, it comes with a locking mechanism which you can open by means of an electronic keypad which also has a silent mode of operation as well which comes in real handy while reacting to any emergency situations like a break-in, etc.
And, in case of operational failure, a back-up key is also provided to open it without the use of the keypad. One can easily create his own security code which is around 3-8 digits long by following the instructions which are pretty basic and simple to follow, and the back-up keyhole emergency key is cloaked behind the electronic keypad.
You could have this particular safe by your bed, in case of an emergency. Maybe placing your night lamp over it but due to its size, you may want to keep it inside a closet, or possibly under a desk. For this particular reason, the operation may be relatively quick; but the distance from the safe makes it not so accessible in cases of emergencies.
With this particular safe, you can enjoy the cushion of 3-years warranty unlike 1-year warranty like the rest of the products.
Stack-On Gun Safe
- It is a versatile safe which can hold more than one handguns as well as your precious valuables.
- It contains hardware available which is included for secured mounting of the cabinet on the floor or over a wall.
- The shelves and the bottom of this particular safe are perfectly foam-padded to protect your guns and valuables from scratch or any other damage.
- You can open it by means of an electronic keypad which also has a silent mode of operation as well which comes in real handy while reacting to any emergency situations like a break-in
- With this particular safe, you can enjoy the cushion of a 3-years warranty unlike 1-year warranty in the rest.
- The only catch of this product we could gather of-of the negative reviews regarding the keypads failing to operate. This is a problem but appears to be consistent across all products that use this type of technology.
This particular featured gun safe is unique on its own from the rest as well as similar to a few other safes. It has a biometric lock mechanism as well as lock system with a combination. It is easily accessible as well as quick to access in case of emergencies. However, it comes 100$ more expensive than other safes.
It is made up of heavy duty material i.e 19-gauge carbon steel with an addition of powder-coat finish to prevent corrosion which keeps your gun protected and safer from scratches for longer. However, this is not a multi-purpose gun safe like the rest. It can store up to 2 handguns comfortably. It has a separate LED system that makes it easy to find in case of dark and other conditions.
This particular safe has anti-pry bars, interior mounted hinges, two-point anti-impact latches, and new interior security brackets. All of these can make it one of the toughest safe from break-ins. With backlit keypad or biometric fingerprint scanners available the lid opening system is automatic. Just enter your combination or press your finger against the sensor and bam you have your valuables with you at an instant.
One of the key features of these products are is smart safe technology. Smart safe technology ensures that one can open their safe from their phone app- Vaultek Smart App. Also one can check when was it last opened. It contains a Rechargeable Lithium-ion battery which powers the safe up to 4 months, and charges in just 2.5 hours using micro-USB charging kit. You can change the LED brightness through the app as well as add additional combinational patterns for extra security. This comes with manual keys in case of battery failure as well as a rechargeable battery, charging kit, mounting hardware, and security cable. Along with these comes quick starter guide, tutorials, and 24*7 support as well.
Vaultek Biometric Handgun Pistol Safe
- It is a smart safe which can hold two handguns as well as your precious valuables with two different mechanisms as well as an offline key.
- It contains hardware which is included for secured mounting of the cabinet. You can mount the cabinets on the floor or over a wall as well as covered by a 3-year warranty.
- The shelves and the bottom of this particular safe have powder-coat finish to prevent corrosion. It keeps your gun protected and safer from scratches for longer.
- You can open it by means of a biometric scanner, a combination lock as well as through Vaultek Smart App which makes it the smartest safe of all.
- If not locked properly it can pop open automatically by itself without your knowledge. So it is essential that you ensure that you lock the safe properly.
- Comes 100$ extra and rightly so. So it may not be economic if you don’t have a hefty budget.
This model is a handgun storage safe which can store up to 5 handguns at a time. Additionally, it has been a major missing in our previously discussed models of storing multiple handguns in a single safe. It can store 3 handguns at the ready orientation and 2 handguns in a flat orientation. You can also use flat space to store other things like ammunition and other valuables.
At 150 dollars approximately this is probably one of the best gun safe model available in the current market. It has a built-in quick access spring loaded door. It drops down along with Red Interior Light and Optional Silent Mode which comes handy in emergency burglary situations. The safe has a solid architecture with solid steel construction. It is available along with anti-pry structure and high strength locking latch. It has a high-density foam interior with scratch resistant rods. And this assists in keeping your gun scratch-free.
With all the heavy steel construction, an iron-clad door and the battery. It is located inside, this safe is very difficult to tamper with. It has a 6 digit combination lock mechanism which illuminates with blue light shortly after the first button is activated. With 6 digit combo, the user can choose from up to 720 combinations and the intruder will take a long time to get the right set of combinations.
Stealth Handgun Gun Safe
- It is a 14 gauge solid steel safe which can hold up to five handguns with two different types of orientation.
- It contains hardware like four bolt down holes as well as a security cable. Moreover, it helps in mounting of the cabinet on the floor or over the wall. It makes it harder to just run away with it.
- The shelves and the bottom of this particular safe have a high-density foam interior with scratch resistant rods. It assists in keeping your gun scratch-free.
- Same as before few users complained of getting a safe with a faulty locking system. After a few days if application the electronic door release system just stops working.
It is one of the premium quick access gun safes available in the market with a digital keypad lock. It is supported by a battery with potential in between 1-9v. The safe has a solid construction with 18-gauge steel housing which offers the best security in the current market. Additionally, it has interior foam designing to protect your gun from scratches and all.
It has external hardware for mounting securely like multiple mounting options. It also includes backup override key in case of any failure in the digital locking mechanism. This safe is really convenient as you can be easily mount it over any place inside your home, office, bedroom or living room, wherever you feel like putting it. It can even discretely fit inside your car as well. Some of its different versions contain biometric lock producing quick results.
GunVault SV500 SpeedVault Gun Safe
- It is an 18-gauge solid steel safe which can hold a handgun and provide lightning-quick access to the user of the safe.
- Moreover, it has a digital locking system with 4 buttons which operates on battery and an external offline key as well which helps in case when the digital mechanism malfunctions.
- It has a foam based interior which assists in keeping your gun scratch-free. You can mount it over anywhere as you please.
- Whereas locking malfunction seems to be consistent in every gun safe around the world this has a reputation of malfunction of offline locking system as well.
- As described over its product description- this product contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm.
If you’re looking to store a single handgun while concealing it inside a drawer, then this safe is probably the better choice than SV500. It has a biometric locking mechanism which can store up to 2 fingerprints. If you’re a little old-school you can use the rubber button with 4 combinations. Additionally, the drawer will open thereby granting you access to your firearm. For both these locking mechanisms you’re going to need a AA battery. And in case you run out of charge you can get with 2 backup key as well.
With one hand, quiet and quick access lets you mount it anywhere as it comes with the mounting hardware required. It would ensure smooth and silent operation. Thing is good in case of burglary as well. It is made up of 12-gauge steel which is very durable. Depending on the size of your pistol you can also store one or more magazine and ammunition for your pistol as well.
SentrySafe Gun Safe
- It is a 12-gauge solid steel safe which can hold a handgun. Besides, it can provide lightning-quick access to the user of the safe.
- Additionally, it has a biometric locking system able to store up to 2 fingerprints as well as 4 buttons. The buttons operate on battery and 2 external offline keys as well which helps in case when the biometric mechanism malfunctions.
- It comes with a 1-year warranty as well.
- The AA batteries required for the locking mechanism is not provided with the package. And the mounting hardware does not support wall mounting either.
- Although the product describes the safe to be unbreakable, the safe can be easily pried upon.
Fort Knox is most renowned for storing full-size and custom made safes. Recently it took a keen interest in making a secure safe for handguns and the result is the PB1. Probably the most secure pistol safe available in the current market.
It has a very heavy-duty construction. This particular model is made up of 10-gauge steel and with a top-opening lid. It is very thick and covers around completely to prevent burglar or thieves from inserting any prying tools. With such security mediocre high-level thieves would never be able to crack it. Despite such heavy armor, the door will be surprisingly easy to open. That happens becuase the gas-assisted struts that assist you while opening.
It can store up to 2 handguns alongside other valuables as well. Despite being a heavy-weight safe out of all the safes discussed here, there is always a risk of being carried away if not cracked down. But worry not! It comes with drilling holes which help is mounting over walls and other surfaces. However, it is not small enough to fit inside a drawer so you should better find a safe concealing spot for the safe.
As this particular safe has no electronics element of any sorts there is absolutely no chance to face any electronic problem. You may open the door of the safe by the gas-strut-assisted heavyweight door. Therefore this safe is immune to the battery or technical failures. We observed this in the previously discussed safes.
Fort Knox Handgun Safe
- It is 10-gauge steel and with a top-opening lid. It is very thick and covers around completely which can hold a handgun. Moreover, it provides quick access as well.
- It has no electronics element of any sorts. So there is absolutely no chance to face any electronic problem. Therefore this safe is immune to the battery or technical failures we observed before.
- It comes with a lifetime warranty as well.
- No electronic items included so may not be future-proof. Other than that no complains.